Naturopathic Medicine utilizes a wide variety of natural treatment modalities to help you recover from illness, restore balance to your body, and promote optimal health. Our goal is to use your body's innate healing wisdom combined with the healing power of nature to achieve wellness. At Mitchell Center you will be given individualized care to address your unique health needs. We believe in treating you as a whole person. Our aim is to help identify the underlying cause of your illness, and help you restore your health and prevent future imbalance. We believe in the principle of Doctor as Teacher and strive to educate you about your health and empower you to play an active role in your healing.
Principles of Naturopathic Medicine
- The Healing Power of Nature (Vis Medicatrix Naturae):
Naturopathic medicine recognizes an inherent self-healing process in people that is ordered and intelligent. Naturopathic physicians act to identify and remove obstacles to healing and recovery, and to facilitate and augment this inherent self-healing process.
- Identify and Treat the Causes (Tolle Causam):
The naturopathic physician seeks to identify and remove the underlying causes of illness rather than to merely eliminate or suppress symptoms.
- First Do No Harm (Primum Non Nocere):
Naturopathic physicians follow three guidelines to avoid harming the patient:
- Utilize methods and medicinal substances which minimize the risk of harmful side effects, using the least force necessary to diagnose and treat;
- Avoid when possible the harmful suppression of symptoms; and
- Acknowledge, respect, and work with individuals’ self-healing process.
- Doctor as Teacher (Docere):
Naturopathic physicians educate their patients and encourage self-responsibility for health. They also recognize and employ the therapeutic potential of the doctor-patient relationship.
- Treat the Whole Person:
Naturopathic physicians treat each patient by taking into account individual physical, mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social, and other factors. Since total health also includes spiritual health, naturopathic physicians encourage individuals to pursue their personal spiritual development.
Naturopathic physicians emphasize the prevention of disease by assessing risk factors, heredity and susceptibility to disease, and by making appropriate interventions in partnership with their patients to prevent illness.Source: http://www.naturopathic.org
Naturopathic Treatment Tools
- Careful attention is payed to your personal health history and a thorough assessment is made of your healthcare needs.
- Dietary, nutritional, and lifestyle counseling are provided.
- Vitamin and mineral supplementation, botanical medicine, homeopathy, and physical medicine techniques are utilized to help facilitate your healing.
- Physical exams, laboratory assessments, and referrals for imaging or to other medical specialists will be included as needed as we explore your health concerns and strive to help you heal.